1937 Cord 812 Phaeton
In 1936/1937 Mr. E. L. Cord was taking his second shot at putting a car into production with front wheel drive using his name. This attempt lasted for only two years; its introduction year of 1936 and ended in 1937. Yet the Cords are considered not only by collectors to be one of the greatest masterpieces designs of pre-war cars. Many museums of art that have actually displayed the 1936-1937 Cord in their museum as sculptures alongside of art work produced by famous artists.
The Cord was so advanced for its day that today collectors treasure them not only for their beautiful sculpture but for the joy of actually driving one. The engine is a flat head V8 with plenty of power connected directly to the front wheel drive and a four speed transmission.
The 1937 Cord in this ad is a Phaeton model that means that it is a convertible model with a rear seat. Take a look at the wonderful platoon fenders and the famous hood known as the ‘Coffin Nose’; the headlights are flush with the fenders and can be raised up out of the fenders at night, are all part of the iconic design. The dashboard is engine turned like you would find in a pre-war airplane and the gauges also resemble airplane gauges.
The car in this ad is the 1937 Cord Phaeton and you should note that the convertible top when down is hidden under a metal panel when it is down is very similar to the first series Corvettes when the top is down you have a solid panel that would cover the top up for a sleek look.
The Cord convertible has a beautiful split cast windshield, comfortable seating for four and this Cord has plenty of power to travel on the highway at cruising speeds of 70 mph all day long. This Cord was restored years ago but is still in beautiful condition. The car has always been garaged for the 22 years since purchase. The red leather interior is in good shape. The Lycoming V8 125 HP engine starts up and runs perfectly. However there is an electrical problem with the electronic gear shifting mechanism.
The following are the facts on this car.
· Only 3,531 miles since the mid 1990s restoration. Owned since about 1997.
· The Cigarette Cream paint, looks good but up close it does show some flaws.
· Red leather interior looks really very nice.
· Lycoming V8 125 hp engine with Semi-Automatic four-speed transmission. Needs repair to electronics in order to shift through the gears.
· Transmission is good but please note - the pencil switch on the steering column needs repair or replacement, however, gears can be selected manually in order to move the car around and show that the transmitter itself is working.
· The car was very dependable until the recent pencil switch issue.
· The radial tires are about ten years old but very little wear.
· Clear title.
· Headlights, front turn signal, fog lights, taillights and radio are working. The rear turn signals and brake lights are not currently working (guessing that it most likely the bulbs). Clock was rebuilt but not currently working.
· The car is equipped with Richardson U Joints (cost about $6,000.00).
· External pipes that normally came with Super Charger, however this car is not Super Charged.
· Heavy duty rear hubs have been installed.
· Runs very well.
· The Cord is equipped with a radio that works.
Due to the transmission glitch the reserve is relatively low to leave plenty of room for the money that will need to be allotted for the repair.
This is a rare opportunity to acquire a beautiful Cord Phaeton (convertible) in wonderful condition and will make a wonderful tour vehicle once the electronic wiring problem is corrected.
Please note that we definitely prefer phone calls 847-774-4857.
Thank you very much for your interest.
|“Nice older restoration. Close inspection shows some flaws in the paint.” |
| Year: || 1937 || Mileage: || 3531 |
| Number of Cylinders: || 8 || Make: || Cord |
| Transmission: || Semi-Automatic Overdrive || Model: || 812 |
| Body Type: || Convertible || Trim: || Phaeton |
| Warranty: || Vehicle does NOT have an existing warranty || Engine: || Lycoming V8 125 HP |
| Vehicle Title: || Clear || Drive Type: || FWD |
| Options: || Convertible, Leather Seats || Fuel Type: || Gasoline |
| Exterior Color: || Cigarette Cream || For Sale By: || Private Seller |
| Interior Color: || Red leather || Drive Side: || Left-hand drive |