Complete frame off restoration, before and after pictures throughout. Numbers matching engine, frame, body, trans and differential verified through NAMGAR. Less than 50,000 original miles. This is not (quite) a concurs level auto, but it has won some shows. Given the limited number of 1961 MGA’s imported and that are still existing, this is probably one of the best.
Body and frame were sandblasted and epoxy painted prior to final finish. Final body and paint (skim coat bondo only) done by one of the best body shops in the Midwest, Custom Classics. See links below. Full engine rebuild including head and crank work. NOS used when available, otherwise used Clarke Spares and Moss as needed. Frame verified and straightened to better than original factory specs. New Stayfast fabric top and tonneau cover, all new period correct side curtain plex panels and seals. New wire wheels using Moss Motors conversion kit. Oil filter conversion to Fram standard.
Please use the links below for a complete review of the car.
Head rebuild and crankshaft work: Foreign Car Rebuilding, Palatine, IL
Windshield frame rechroming: Courtesy Metal Polishing, Addison, IL
Frame, final bodywork and paint: Custom Classics, Island Lake, IL
Most mechanical parts supplied by: Moss Motors
Metal rocker panels (NOS): 912 Classics
Sill plates and accurate historical parts: Clarke Spares
Spare aluminum trunk (boot)
Badge bar, not installed.
Hundreds of before, after and in progress pictures and videos.
Series of MGA books
Car cover with security cable
Original disc wheel front hub
Moss Motors catalog marked with all the new parts used
Carb tuning kit
This is 1 of 37 MGA’s imported to the US in 1961.
Major changes from stock
Alternator in place of generator
Inside of fenders coated to prevent rock dents
All metal joints seal seam sealed
Negative ground conversion
Battery cut off switch
Wire wheel conversion
LED lights on turn signals and stop
3-point safety belts
Silicone Brake fluid
Drivers seat moved as for back as possible as I’m 6’4”
Pedals bent to allow clearance for normal size feet
Full pictorial documentation here
Car show Video here
History of the MGA
MG made a number of models of the MGA, generally corresponding to the year of production. A hardtop version (coupe) was offered for all years of production but was never very popular due to interior heat build up.
1600 Mark II 1961-1962
Twin Cam 1958-1960
Original purchase price in 1961: £940 ($2,600)
Total MGA’s built from 1955-1962: 101,081
Total MGA’s exported to NA: 81,421
Total 1961 MGA 1600’s built: 314
Total 1961 MGA 1600’s exported to NA: 37
Estimated MGA’s remaining in US: 22,000
Estimated MGA’s remaining in UK: 1,500
Some naming conventions from US to UK
LBC Little British Car (MG and others)
Convertible Top Hood
The MGA design dates back to 1951, when MG designer Syd Enever created a streamlined body for George Philips' TD Le Mans car. The problem with this car was the high seating position of the driver because of the limitations of using the TD chassis. A new chassis was designed with the side members further apart and the floor attached to the bottom rather than the top of the frame sections. A prototype was built and shown to the BMC chairman Leonard Lord. He turned down the idea of producing the new car as he had just signed a deal with Donald Healey to produce Austin-Healey cars two weeks before. Falling sales of the traditional MG models caused a change of heart, and the car, initially to be called the UA-series, was brought back. As it was so different from the older MG models it was called the MGA, the first of a new line to quote the contemporary advertising. There was also a new engine available, therefore the car did not have the originally intended XPAG unit but was fitted with the BMC corporate B-Series type allowing a lower bonnet line. The MGA convertible had no exterior door handles, however the coupe has door handles.
It was a body-on-frame design and used the straight-4 B series engine from the MG Magnette saloon driving the rear wheels through a 4-speed gearbox. Suspension was independent with coil springs and wishbones at the front and a rigid axle with semi-elliptic springs at the rear. Steering was by rack and pinion. The car was available with either wire-spoked or steel-disc road wheels.
Specific to the 1600
In May 1959 the standard cars also received an updated engine, now at 1588 cc producing 78 bhp. At the front disc brakes were fitted, but drums remained in the rear.
Externally the car is very similar to the 1500 with differences including: amber or white (depending on market) front turn indicators shared with white parking lamps, separate stop/tail and turn lamps in the rear, and 1600 badging on the boot (trunk) and the cowl.
A number of 1600 De Luxe versions were produced with leftover special wheels and four-wheel disc brakes of the departed Twin-Cam, or using complete modified Twincam chassis left redundant by the discontinuance of that model. Seventy roadsters and 12 coupés were built.
A 1600 open car was tested by The Motor in 1959. It had a top speed of 96.1 mph and could accelerate from 0–60 mph in 13.3 seconds. A fuel consumption of 24.7 mpg was recorded. The test car cost £940 including taxes of £277. ($2,600)
|“Full frame off restoration, less that 50,000 original miles.100's of pictures available, see links in description.” |
| Year: || 1961 || VIN (Vehicle Identification Number): || GHNL 92376 |
| Mileage: || 48250 || Number of Cylinders: || 4 |
| Make: || MG || Transmission: || Manual |
| Model: || MGA || Body Type: || Convertible |
| Engine: || 1622 cc || Vehicle Title: || Clear |
| Drive Type: || RWD || Fuel Type: || Gasoline |
| For Sale By: || Private Seller || Exterior Color: || Red |
| Drive Side: || Left-hand drive || Interior Color: || Black |