**Relisting thanks to a buyer that went MIA. Please, do not purchase this car if you don’t plan on holding up your end of the bargain!**
Selling a very nice Trans Am clone. This car has highway gears now (2.41), but I have a freshly built 3.73 posi-traction rear end that was built for this car, available at additional cost. You would be responsible for getting the additional rear axle shipped or picked up at your cost. This car runs and drives nice as-is, but would have much snappier acceleration if you put in the 3.73 rear! Also available to the buyer at a separate price is a 400 short block from a '70 GTO and big valve 5C heads. Engine is mostly disassembled. Needs very little to be put back together and running. I will not ship, but have an engine hoist available to assist with loading.
Body and Interior Details:
- Originally an Esprit model, now has Trans Am flares, hood, scoop, side vents, rear spoiler and decals.- Was a southern Colorado car, probably for it's entire existence, and has only had a little rust repaired in the lower rear of the front fenders and some floor patch panels due to a formerly leaking rear window. The lower rear of the driver's side quarter panel was replaced also.- New door glass on both sides (no scratches!)- New windshield- New weatherstripping in door openings and trunk.- Nice reproduction (I think) Trans Am steering wheel. Horn button is in excellent condition.- Original Trans Am dash insert, in excellent condition.- Mostly original interior in excellent condition, but there are a few minor flaws here and there. New carpet. Both front buckets have vinyl insert sections professionally replaced, but rear seat didn't need any repair. Good headliner, door panels are pretty good—driver's door panel has a spot near the door lock that has been patched. Dashboard has no cracks, but has a minor warp at the front edge (near windshield) and a 'dent' (see pics). To me, this dash is much better than having an ABS plastic cover. The console has a few cigarette burns. The shifter bezel is new, and the console door is in great shape. The shifter knob is also in great shape.- Radio area was cut out at some point in the past. I have a new reproduction radio bezel that is included, along with a period-correct aftermarket AM/FM cassette player in unknown condition. I will also include two rear speakers (new aftermarket 6x9s). The new windshield has the embedded antenna.
Engine and Transmission Details:
- Has a Pontiac 350 engine from a 1970 Firebird, with 15k - 20k miles since rebuild (per previous owner of this engine)- Edelbrock Torker II intake- Holley 600 cfm carb with electric choke- HEI distributor- Edelbrock Performer cam, block was decked and intake was machined to match, pistons are .030 over (these details are per previous owner)- TH350 Transmission with NO shift kit. From a 1969 Firebird or Lemans, the best I can tell. Has a nice finned cast aluminum pan.- Summit Racing 2200 stall converter- Summit Racing headers and 2 1/2 mandrel-bent true dual exhaust. Has two Magnaflow catalytic converters installed.- Hood scoop is held securely onto the hood with brackets. The scoop can be removed if needed with no damage to the scoop.- Dipstick is sometimes tricky to get back in, but it will always go in with a slight twist of the wrist.
Suspension and Undercarriage Details:
- Car's odometer reads about 3,000 miles, and I believe it has just under 103,000 actual miles (I do drive this car, so this will go up a little). The suspension is possibly all original except for the rear shocks (new) and maybe front shocks. It still drives and handles nicely. - The underside has not been detailed at all, and is covered in dust from dry southern Colorado dirt roads.- The wheels are OEM Pontiac 15x8 Snowflakes, much better looking than the 15x7s in my opinion.- Tires are stock-size 225/70R15 and have a pretty decent amount of tread left.- The brakes, including the parking brake, work well. Front disc / rear drum.
Electrical System Details:
- Charging system works great.- Battery holds a charge well.- All exterior lights work.- Dash lights work except for aftermarket gauges.- Wipers work, but slowly.- Horn works.- Trunk has a light that turns on when it is opened. This is a Year One reproduction part. Kind of cool.- Dome light works when either door is opened.
- The primaries currently have high-altitude jets (I am at a 6700 ft elevation), but I have some jets that are better for lower altitudes. I can switch these if the buyer wants. - The 2.41 gears definitely make for more of a ‘cruiser.’ - There are two places on the passenger fender with cracks in the paint (see pic with the blue circles). These are not noticeable at all, but they are there.- There are a few other paint imperfections here and there, but none are noticeable or a big deal.- The rear window trim on the driver's side needs a few more of the metal clips that hold that trim to the body. The top piece also has a slight bend that could be straightened.- I am including the windshield washer reservoir/electric motor combination, not installed. The electric motor works but the reservoir has cracks at the top.- I am including the emissions canister that came with the car, plus some extra parts.- The trim for the rear edge of the hood is missing.- The paint is VERY shiny and the car looks great. I don't think anyone seeing it in person will be disappointed!
Here is a video of the car starting, and that video is at the link below. It was recorded using my iPad, and the sound quality isn't great. The engine is cold in the video, but starts and runs great. I will try to upload a walk-around video in the next few hours:
Walk-around video now on YouTube:
|“Great looking Trans Am clone. Beautiful red paint. No tears in interior, new carpet.” |
| Year: || 1978 || VIN (Vehicle Identification Number): || 2T87L8L122146 |
| Mileage: || 103000 || Interior Color: || White |
| Make: || Pontiac || Number of Cylinders: || 8 |
| Model: || Firebird || Transmission: || Automatic |
| Trim: || Trans Am parts added || Body Type: || Coupe |
| Engine: || 350 || Warranty: || Vehicle does NOT have an existing warranty |
| Drive Type: || RWD || Vehicle Title: || Clear |
| Fuel Type: || Gasoline || Sub Model: || Esprit |
| For Sale By: || Private Seller || Exterior Color: || Red |