eBay 1980 Electric Comuta-Car, 60 volts, Great Condition
We are the original owners of this all-electric 1980 Comuta-Car, made by Commuter Vehicles, Inc., Sebring, Florida. It is blue with a white vinyl top, white wheels, fold-down white vinyl seats, and black indoor-outdoor carpeting. Side windows are lockable, made of acrylic plastic and slide open. The exterior is ABS plastic and the frame is rectangular and tubular aircraft aluminum with a roll bar. There is no rust in the car or in the battery compartments. It has perfect front and rear bumper shock absorbers as well as excellent front and rear Fiberglas battery covers with two key locks mounted on each of them. It seats two persons and holds about 5 bags of groceries in the luggage area, which has a gas-shock-supported glass hatch. The car is run by a direct current GE electric motor rated at 6 HP.
We have all the receipts, records of maintenance, instructions, manuals, etc., since we purchased the car new in July of 1980. We used the handy, simple-to-drive Comuta-Car for everything. It is high enough to easily slide into and out, perfect for short trips and commuting with its approximate 50-mile range, summer and winter. The heat from the electric motor is blown into the passenger compartment, or, during the summer, the motor heat is ducted out under the car. There is a separate 2-speed blower for the defrost. Many gauges keep the driver informed of the condition of the car and battery power condition. It has 24,927 miles, new tires and a fresh paint job (original color). No parts are broken or missing. Always stored undercover. It has a clear title. Buyer is responsible for pickup or arranging for shipping.
Highlights and improvements include:
1. The new 1980 Comuta-Car had 48-volts with eight 6-volt batteries. In the first year we bought a larger rear battery compartment from the factory, so it is a 60-volt car with ten 6-volt batteries, 4 in the front and 6 in the back.
2. Originally the car had a 5.17 rear end and went 50-60+ mph. Our area in Portland, Oregon, is hilly, so we ordered a new axle and differential with 6.83 gears from the factory to handle the inclines. It now climbs just about any grade. Top speed is 45-55 mph and has plenty of pick-up! We still have the original 5.17 axle and differential. There is no transmission.
3. To handle the extra weight in the rear battery compartment, it has a heavier set of factory springs with an extra leaf.
4. Original equipment was a 12-volt marine battery for accessories. It has been upgraded to a very nice, much lighter Curtis DC-DC converter that draws power from the 60-volt drive pack.
5. The car features an onboard 120-volt charger to charge the 60-volt battery pack using a regular extension cord and household circuit.
6. A very nice, top-of-the-line 1221M Curtis motor controller operates the vehicle with smooth acceleration and power, adding tremendously to the reliability and performance.
7. Recently: new brake master cylinder, refinished rubber bumpers, new heavy duty #1-gauge battery cables, new motor brushes, fresh gear oil, brake drums ground, new brake shoes, new motor bearings and seal, and the motor armature has been turned and cleaned.
8. Maintenance is completed. Wiring is sound. Everything works.
9. I am available to answer questions.
Note: the 10 batteries are 6-years old. For maximum power and distance they should be replaced. The winning bidder can arrange to hire me to install new batteries for an extra fee, or can install batteries themselves, or I can completely remove and recycle the batteries for lighter transportation. Trojan-145 six-volt deep-cycle batteries are what I have used.
|VIN (Vehicle Identification Number):||1111B1C2XAS000546||Mileage:||24,927|
|Number of Cylinders:||6 horse power GE electric motor||Make:||Other Makes|
|Transmission:||rear wheel direct drive||Trim:||factory original deluxe model|
|Body Type:||2 door hatchback||Engine:||6 horse power direct drive motor|
|Warranty:||Vehicle does NOT have an existing warranty||Drive Type:||RWD|
|Vehicle Title:||Clear||Fuel Type:||Electric battery operated|
|Sub Model:||OEM deluxe||For Sale By:||Private Seller|
|Exterior Color:||Blue with white vinyl roof||Disability Equipped:||No|
|Interior Color:||White||Drive Side:||Left-hand drive|